Monday 5 December 2011

DSW Guest Speaker

In class on Monday we had a really great guest speaker Colleen from the DSW program, and she was talking to us about being pollitically correct, and people using offensive launguage without really understand how hurtful the words can be. I personally did not realize how often these words were used in every day conversation until I started to really pay attention to it. When I was younger I went to school with a boy named Joey and he was born with Down's Syndrome. Joey is such a great person and is a huge part of the community, he works at Soybe's, and has a lot to do with the triple A hockey community as well. I have known Joey my entire life and find myself greatful to know a person like him. While I was listening to Colleen speak and the stories she toled I was shocked at how people can be so rude and careless, because for mr growing up nothing like that was ever an issue. After this presentation I was feeling a little down about how careless and rude people are and then we were able to watch those amazing videos. I cried while watching the videos that were shown in class because I just could not have imagined a better way for others to see that although a person has a disability there are still people with feelings, hopes, and dreams..

No comments:

Post a Comment